Most people don’t know the difference between rekeying or replacing locks which is why many homeowners often opt for replacing their locks instead of rekeying them. However, rekeying is a better option in many cases. To help you make a more informed decision next time you need to change your locks, First Lock & Security Technologies highlights the differences between rekeying and replacing locks.
When Should You Replace Your Locks?
Replacing a lock involves exactly that. Removing the old lock and installing a new lockset on the door. This is one option if your existing lock is broken, it may also just need to be repaired, but there are other circumstances when completely replacing the locks is the better choice than rekeying. Below are some common circumstances in which having your lock replaced may be the best option:
· You want to upgrade to a stronger lock to increase security.
· You want to upgrade the appearance of your locks to match the aesthetics of the property.
· You want a lock that is easier to open
· Current lock has been picked or tampered.
· You want a master key system for your commercial property
Advantages to Replacing Your Locks
· Upgrading your security level.
· Customizing your lock style and finish to match decor.
·Eliminate repair issues with a new lockset.
When is it Better to Rekey Locks?
Rekeying a lock involves changing the keys without changing the lock. The pin tumblers inside your lock are removed and replaced with new pins that are a different configuration than your existing ones . The new pin configuration means that old keys can no longer unlock the door. Rekeying your lock is the best solution in the following scenarios:
· You have purchased a new home.
· Your house already has high-quality locks installed.
· You need a cost-effective option to make sure existing keys won’t work.
· You have lost your keys, or they have been stolen.
· You want to restrict access to someone who has a set of your keys.
· You want a master key system for more control.
Benefits of Rekeying Locks
· Increased security.
· Quick and easy.
· Resolving issues with your current lock.
Professional Locksmith Services in San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, Woodside, Portola Valley, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Stanford, Mountain View, Los Altos Hills, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Santa Clara, Campbell, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, San Jose, Milpitas & Los Altos, California
Are you considering upgrading the locks to your home or commercial property? At First Lock & Security Technologies, we pride ourselves on providing our clients with personalized and trustworthy customer service. We never use contractors so that we can ensure high-quality service every time we’re on site. If you’re looking for a locksmith you can trust, don’t hesitate to call us. We’d love to discuss your needs and see how we can help.