Unfortunately, many homeowners do not know the difference between rekeying or replacing locks and will often opt for replacing their locks when they could simply be rekeyed at much less cost and inconvenience. To help our valued customers make a more informed decision when locks need to be changed, First Lock & Security Technologies highlights the differences between rekeying and replacing locks below.
When Should You Replace Your Locks?
Replacing a lock is exactly how it sounds. The old lock is completely removed and a new lockset is installed on the door. Lock replacement is the best option when your existing lock is broken beyond repair. Below are some other common instances in which having your lock replaced may be the best option:
· You desire upgrading to a stronger lock to increase security.
· You want to upgrade the appearance of your locks to match the aesthetics of the property.
· You need a lock that is easier to open.
· Your current lock has been picked or tampered with.
· You require a master key system for your commercial property.
Benefits of Replacing Locks
· Upgrading your security level.
· Eliminating repair issues with a new lockset.
· Customizing your lock style and finish to match decor.
Be aware that you may have a high-quality lock on your door that just needs repair to provide many more years of trouble free service. Don’t make the mistake of replacing a high-quality lock with a cheap big box store model and actually reducing your security.
When is it Better to Rekey Locks?
Rekeying a lock involves changing the keys without changing the lock. The pin tumblers inside the lock are removed and replaced with new pins that are a different configuration than the previous pins. The new pin configuration means that old keys can no longer lock or unlock the door. Rekeying a lock is ideal in the following scenarios:
· You have purchased a new home.
· Your house already has high-quality locks installed.
· You need a cost-effective option to make sure existing keys will no longer work.
· You want to restrict access to someone who has a set of your keys.
· You have lost your keys, or they have been stolen.
· You want a master key system for more control.
Advantages to Rekeying Locks
· Increases security.
· Resolves security issues without replacing your current lock.
Professional Locksmith Services in San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, Woodside, Portola Valley, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Stanford, Mountain View, Los Altos Hills, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Santa Clara, Campbell, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, San Jose, Milpitas & Los Altos, California
Are you considering changing or upgrading the locks on your home or commercial property? At First Lock & Security Technologies, we pride ourselves on providing our valued clients with personalized and trustworthy service. We never use outside contractors so that we can ensure high-quality service every time we are on site. If you are looking for a locksmith you can trust, do not hesitate to call us or come by our shop in Los Altos, CA during business hours. We would love to discuss your lock and key needs and see how we can help!